Monday, October 20, 2008

Trip Report: San Juan Huts

Michael and I like to travel and it's probably not a surprise that we don't just take vacations to sit on the beach, although we have done that too.

This summer we joined a group to mountain bike from Durango, CO to Moab, UT along the San Juan Hut System http://sanjuanhuts.com/. Although I am in relatively good shape the idea to take this trip caught Michael off guard since it has been about 4 years since I've been on my mountain bike. That's mainly due to my lack of coordination and knack for falling.


Although I am slightly scared of my mountain bike the challenge and the opportunity to spend some time with Michael made me very excited about the trip. It was a 7 day mountain biking adventure with a stocked hut system to sleep in at night. We carried our gear and aside from a few towns we passed through, there was no contact with the real world.


In one sentence, I would describe the trip as wonderful experience with majestic scenes and rewarding challenges. Unfortunately, this would not truly allow anyone to understand how impressive the trip was. It is quite awe inspiring to find yourself in the middle of nowhere and to later realize how small that vast canyon really is. The world is much larger than we often imagine but it's hard to understand that until you get outside and see it for yourself.


The trip itself definitely pushed my limits. My most memorable day was the 2nd day of the trip. 10 min into the ride we were descending a technical section of mountain. I crashed and my arm was bleeding and in pain. I was so petrified I was shaking but I climbed back on the bike and kept riding. Hours later I caught back up with the guys on the gravel ascent to our cabin. They said they thought they'd seen a ghost as I powered past them. It was surely one of those days when you discover a bit more about yourself and enjoy the journey along the way.


For those of you interested in seeing more pictures you can check them out at: http://picasaweb.google.com/durango2moab08













































































Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: