Friday, February 6, 2009

What To Do When Race Plans Go Ary

Heading into the New Year I had planned my spring training around the Boston Marathon. Things were going great...they are still going great with the exception of one thing: Boston Sold Out! The race registration closed without me. When I started planning for Boston I was told to get all the travel details coordinated first and then sign up for the race in February or March since it typically does not sell out. Well this year was the exception! So Thursday I was forced to ask myself, "What now?"

Luckily for me, I had the help of my Rogue coaches and my husband, James to help me decide. At first I was a little hesitant about switching into triathlon mode so early. Afterall, I've been riding my bike once a week for 3 hours. Surely I would need more riding than that to start racing triathlons. But that anxiety quickly ended. I realized I am fit enough, thanks to my Boston training, weight training, swim training, and yes the one day a week of cycling training. I could easily switch "gears."

I have now decided to race the Lonestar Half Ironman as my early spring race. If you have a baseline level of fitness, switching your schedule at the last minute can be very easy. For me, it was even easier because I used my "Triathlete's Training Bible" by Joe Friel. You don't need to read "The Triathlete's Training Bible" to use the diary. The "Bible" is helpful but not necessary to use the diary. Just remember to use a pencil because schedules change! We have a few copies here at the shop. Stop in and take a look!

For other books we carry, click HERE.

On another shop note, we received multiple flavors (including caffeine flavors) of the Clif Shot Blok with the new packaging. The new packaging is great! It makes it very easy to consume nutrition while working out. We also received a new line of lights: the Knog series. They are super bright LED lights that help while we all wait for the upcoming time change.


For those Austin Marathoners: now is the time to stock up on your nutrition! We have a huge selection of nutritional products, but if there is something we missed, let us know...there is still time to get it in ASAP!





*********
Angie

Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

Skeese Greets said...

This is a good reminder to sign up for events early, especially if you're training specifically for that event. It's also important for races that always sell out, like The Rookie Tri. The Rookie is 3.5 months away, but already at 50% capacity.

Joey said...

Way to go being flexible and changing your focus. Who needs Boston, anyway?

On another note, the knog lights are awesome. I've had one for a couple of years and LOVE them.