Saturday, March 7, 2009

How To Wash Your Running Shoes

From the Newsletter Archives, July 2006:

A Tip from Emilio Desoto, creator of DeSoto Tri Clothing: Wash your helmet and shoes please!

When was the last time you washed your bike helmet, your bike shoes, and your running shoes? If you haven't done so in the past month, they probably stink. If you can't smell it, ask someone else to, then look at their face; the truth comes without words being spoken.


RUNNING SHOES: I train with socks in training shoes and race without socks in flats. A lot of my training is on the beach and if the tide is high, my shoes get wet, very wet with salt water (life is tough in La Jolla, CA). So I wash them a lot.

TO WASH THEM: Machine was them in cold water with some laundry detergent. Wash 4 or 5 pair at a time. When they are done spinning, immediately put them in the sun or dry-room to dry. Believe it or not, most quality running shoes can withstand about 20-30 washes. The last, midsole and outsole these days are glued so well, that they can withstand this sort of care. For most of us that is about a wash a week before it is time to replace the shoes anyway.

Next week...bike shoes!
Kind regards, Emilio




Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

trainers shoes said...

how to wash running shoes very informative article I don't wash my trainers shoes.I love to read this post