Friday, May 15, 2009

CrossFit Central- Now at Jack & Adam's



This past Monday welcomed the start of a new training program here at Jack & Adam's: CrossFit Central. I was one of the lucky ones to try it out this week and I loved it. Right now CrossFit will be offering a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday class starting at 5:45-6:45 a.m. You can opt to sign up for two days a week or even three. In June there will be a Tuesday/Thursday class from 6:30am-7:30am.

For six out of my nine years in triathlon, I struggled with hip, back, and lower leg related injuries. I knew I needed strength training as a form of injury prevention but I was too stubborn to stick to a strength routine and quite frankly I didn't find it nearly as fun as swim practice or a weekend group ride. So weights were always the first workout to get cut from my schedule when life got busy (I am sure many of you can relate).

By the 5th year in the sport I had had enough with all the injuries; I wanted to run more than 3 months without getting injured. I decided to go to a physical therapy center that specialized in endurance athletes. I worked with them for over a year from a rehabilitation level to a core/strength class. I had finally learned that strength was a major key in staying healthy.

Now, every week has a strength component at minimum of once per week. I have to admit that lately I was getting a little bored with my weight routines. Since I don't have a lot of knowledge and experience with strength building, my progress can be limited. I saved a lot of the dynamic workouts from my PT that kept me injury free, but I can only rotate through them so many times before I get bored. When I heard that CrossFit was coming to Jack & Adam's I knew the program would be a great fit for me. I had seen a CrossFit class at Rogue Running and I could see that the exercises were dynamic and multidirectional which is key with injury prevention.

The best thing I learned this week about CrossFit is that ANYONE can do it - triathlete or not. It is not a competition between you and the person next to you; rather it is you versus the clock and you against yourself. Plus it is fun! CrossFit focuses on a total body dynamic strength workout which is important for long term overall wellness. You will feel sore (ask Jack or Sam, okay I was sore too) but you will feel great post-workout.

If you are looking to get multiple workouts done in the morning, I plan to swim at Barton Springs after CrossFit on Mondays and run afterwards on Wednesday. Feel free to join me!

For additional questions please stop by the shop and ask one of us (many of us have tried it out) or check out the CrossFit website: http://www.crossfitcentral.com/

See you at the shop!

-Angie

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: